Please plan to join us for the UN Day Assembly in the School Sports Centre at 10.30 on Friday November 30.
And of course be sure to stay and enjoy the Community Lunch which is made possible by all the delicious food you bring to share! (details below and don’t forget to sign up!).
UN Day is one of the key moments of the School year when our entire community joins together to celebrate our unique status as one of only two international United Nations Schools and the work of the UN in building a better world… together!
We are excited to welcome Mr Kamal Malhotra, Resident Coordinator of the United Nations in Viet Nam as our opening speaker, and next week our High School students will be vying to join him on stage to deliver the UNIS Hanoi student address.
Meanwhile the dancers are polishing their steps, the choir and musicians are practising their final flourishes and in just ten days time we will be building the stage and start the final rehearsals for this event which involves more than three-quarters of ALL our students during the assembly.
If your child is one the 252 flag bearers for the Parade of Nations, you will have already received information about the rehearsal schedule and some guidelines for their outfit. The Parade is the opening for this special event.
And of course, it wouldn’t be UN Day without the Community Lunch which follows on directly from the School Assembly.
After our UN Day Ceremony (November 30), we continue the celebration with a whole school community lunch enjoyed by students, parents and staff. It is truly international and delicious! Our shared lunch is made of ‘traditional’ food provided by our parents and is an opportunity for families to showcase cultural cuisines – from old family recipes to new fusion dishes EVERYTHING is welcome!
The lunch which will start at 12:00 noon. The Community Lunch is organised into grade level lunches and your homeroom/grade level parent volunteers will take the lead on organising the lunch. Please review the Food Preparation Guidelines below to ensure we organise a safe and hygienic community potluck lunch with enough food for all!
Should you have any questions, feel free to contact your Class / Grade Level Parent or email the Community Liaison Officer, Nathalie Grun (CLO@unishanoi.org)
What should I bring?
- One national dish per child (serving size: ES 10+ portions / MSHS 20+ portions).
- List the food ingredients, name of food and country of origin (food label attached).
- Food should not require refrigeration/heating.
- Food should be easily served — no soupy dishes.
- Label your dish tray with your child’s full name & homeroom.
Grade Lunch Locations & Food Sign-up
- Discovery & Kindergarten 1 / Location – ECC Gym / (D/K1 Food Sign-up)
- Kindergarten 2 / Location – K2C & K2D Homerooms / (K2 Food Sign-up)
- Grade 1 A & B / Location – G1A & G1B Homerooms / (G1 Food Sign-up)
- Grade 1 C & D / Location – G1C & G1D Homerooms / (G1 Food Sign-up)
- Grade 2 / Location – G2A & G2B Homerooms / (G2 Food Sign-up)
- Grade 3 / Location – G3A & G3B Homerooms / (G3 Food Sign-up)
- Grade 4 / Location – Creativity Space / (G4 Food Sign-up)
- Grade 5 / Location – G5A & G5B Homerooms / (G5 Food Sign-up)
- Grades 6 – 8 / Location – B8b-Canteen / (MS Food Sign-up)
- Grades 9 – 12 / Location – B8b-Ly Thai To Learning Centre (2nd floor) / (HS Food Sign-up)
Single-use Plastic Free Event
As part of our commitments to United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 12 (Responsible Consumption and Production), there will be no single-use plastics used in the organisation of this event. All families are encouraged to come up with create alternatives to single-use plastics when preparing food.