(Phoenix Summer Reading graphic by Noi Kim 5A)
If everyone reads for just 30 minutes a day, at least five days a week in the long holiday (14 June – 13 August 2019), together we can read for a million minutes! Imagine how much you can experience, how many new worlds you can visit, how much you can learn in just a short time each day. Did you know that it has been scientifically proven that reading makes you healthier and smarter … and it’s fun!
You can read anything! Do you like serious mysteries, or romantic humor? Do you enjoy graphic novels and comics, or true crime, or biographies? Do you read magazines or newspapers? Do you read interesting articles or blog posts online? Listening to an audiobook while you travel counts as “reading” as well.
Everyone at UNIS Hanoi is challenged to join in – students of all ages (parents can read to the non-readers), teachers and staff. Students in Grades 2-5 have been introduced to the Library homepage and can navigate their way to recording their minutes of reading every day!
In the Elementary School, there will be PRIZES for the top individual readers and for the top performing grade level. These prizes will involve water. And teachers. And soaking. So, read. And when you’ve finished, read a little more.
Here are some easy steps to enjoy your summer reading and give your family lots of options for reading:
- Install the apps Sora and Destiny Read on your family iPad. Sora will give you access to all of the eBooks and audiobooks we have in the library – perfect for travelling. Use your UNIS Hanoi username/password to login (without @unishanoi.org)
- Go to Epic and enroll your family for 3 months of reading for $3 using this link: https://www.getepic.com/summer-of-reading – use the code SUMMER19 to access the offer. Then bookmark this page on the iPad so it can be accessed easily.
- If you read in another language go to the International Children’s Library using this link: http://en.childrenslibrary.org/ – bookmark this page and there are thousands of books appropriate for all ages in many languages.
- Go to the Library Home page – http://libguides.unishanoi.org/home – bookmark this page – explore the different suggestions for different grades
- LOG YOUR MINUTES EVERY DAY!! And watch the grade graph grow!
Having problems? All students can log in using the same user name and password they use to log into the computers (not their email address). This can be used for Destiny as well. Parents can use their Veracross log in to access all library information.
Something for parents? Over the last year, the Library has tried to put all of the subscription magazines as digital subscriptions. If you add the app RB Digital to your iPad or phone you can access all of our magazines and read them online. You can follow step by step instructions on installing the app here. You will be prompted for a country selection (Vietnam) and then a school selection (UNIS). All UNIS magazines (print and digital) can be seen on this list. There are 94 magazine subscriptions in the Library and there will be something for everyone to enjoy.
Don’t forget to follow us on Instagram @unislibrary and forward your “reading in different places” holiday snaps to email@example.com for uploading to our school account.
Monica Mayer and Deborah Wells-Clinton