On behalf of the Board of Directors, I write to update you on some of the work the Board has been engaged in during the first half of this year.
One of the main duties and responsibilities of the Board is the fiscal stability of the School. We are committed to maintaining a secure financial foundation and transparency for our community. We are pleased to note the following;
- Audit 2017-18: Ernst and Young have carried out last year’s audit and have declared the school’s financial reports to be in good order. The Annual Report 2017-2018 (UNIS Unfolded) will provide the summary financial overview – available end semester 1.
- Budget planning 2018 -19: Our projected budget for this year was based on an enrollment figure of 1135 students. Current admissions data anticipates no change to this figure with no budget adjustment required.
- Budget 2019 -20: The Board has approved the budget for next year’s annual action plan based on a steady enrollment of 1135. This is a cautious figure as we budget conservatively to ensure long term stability for the school. UNIS Hanoi remains the number 1 choice of new families relocating to Hanoi.
Tuition Fees Increase of 4%, Capital Fees increase to $3,000 (K2-G12)
The Board bases its budget decision on the School’s Values, Mission and Vision to ensure that the School honours its commitment to you and your children. Key to that commitment is recruiting and retaining highly qualified and experienced teachers and further developing our facilities in support of teaching and learning. Thorough benchmarking analysis of local and regional international schools as well as wider economic scans are used to determine the budget figures each year. Following review, a draft budget with a proposed 4% tuition increase for 2019-2020 was presented at our community meeting in November with a capital fee increase to $3,000 for grades K2 – 12. These budget figures were subsequently approved at the 20 November Board meeting.
During the first half of this year the Board has also worked in the following areas:
- Nurturing and supporting our new Head of School Jane McGee during her first year at UNIS Hanoi.
- Establishing a Fundraising Task Force that will work to define the future of Fundraising at UNIS Hanoi.
- Preliminary planning for our next strategic planning cycle to follow `Strategy 2020’, which reaches completion at the end of next year.
- Maintaining strong financial oversight as the school works to build reserves for our next phase of campus development.
None of these achievements would be possible without the dedication of Board and Committee volunteers. I would like to thank everyone for their hard work and support and I would like to wish everyone a wonderful holiday season and best wishes for a healthy and happy New Year.