- This weekend, we ask you to discuss the question “What do we value as a family?” A sheet to record your values has been sent home today in your child’s take home folder. You or your child can record your answer.
- Please send your child to school every day with a hat, a water bottle, and a healthy snack.
- Library is Tuesday.
- Home Reading will start next week. Your child will have a home reading folder which comes home everyday. We have been practicing in school how to record our reading. I will explain more at the Back to School Evening. Please check the home reading log for more information.
- Parent Back to School Night – 5th September 2019. 6:00pm to 7.30pm. A time to learn more about the Elementary School and 2B.
- Photo Day for 2B is Wednesday 28th of August.
During our first full week in grade two, students focused on building a strong community of learners and began laying the foundation of solid work habits for our math, reading, and writing workshops. Students celebrated their unique characteristics and interests by designing a mural titled “Our 2B Community is Us, and We Are It”.
Grade Two is beginning the 2019-2020 school year with a unit of inquiry into Who We Are. The concepts below will be taught in class, however, it would be of great assistance to help your child become familiar with the main unit components and vocabulary in order to maximize their learning experiences and make connections in class.
This is especially important for non mother-tongue English speaking students. Please translate the following into your child’s mother tongue in order to develop their linguistic abilities and foster their conceptual development.
Any extra reading, websites, films or learning experiences you may give your child in their mother tongue to compliment this unit, would be extremely valuable.
Central Idea:Our values shape our communities.
- What community is (function)
- How values influence our behaviours (connection)
- Skills used to thrive in a community (responsibility)
Vocabulary: values, community, behaviours, choices, feelings, teamwork, responsibility, to affect, to cooperate, to commit
Learner Profile Traits: principled and reflective
Connecting with our central idea:
In Math, students are developing a community of mathematicians that uses routines and shares their thinking to help their learning.
In Reading, students are exploring what a community of readers does and how the classroom will look and sound during different reading activities.
In Writing, students will consider what they value in their lives to create a heart map of writing ideas for the year.
Thank you for helping your student select three items for their “All About Me” bag. They really enjoyed sharing their personal items and learning how their friends are unique. What a busy and fun week.