Last weekend, the Grade 1 team, along with the other ECC teachers at UNIS and 40 colleagues from all around Asia, had the pleasure of attending the EARCOS workshop Listening to Learning in the Early Years, presented by Fiona Zinn. Fiona is an Educational Consultant based in Hobart, Australia. Drawing on 25 years experience in the early childhood, primary and tertiary sectors, Fiona consults widely with International Schools around the world to boldly re-imagine early years and primary pedagogy, curriculum and learning environments in response to research. During our two-day weekend workshop, we explored some of the ideas that underpin the pedagogical experience of Reggio Emilia, investigated our ‘image of the child’ and shared some deep reflection on the importance of relationships within our schools. We also examined the role of provocation and documentation for our work with transnational children in international school contexts. After our weekend of learning, we had another two days of professional development focusing on student agency on Monday and Tuesday. Our brains are now full of new questions and ideas!
We continued our learning about nutrition this week. We made a pie chart of the different food groups and sorted different foods into the right categories; body builders, body protectors, energy givers and treats.
The children now have a good understanding of the different food groups and are planning their shopping lists to make our healthy snacks on Monday.
We had our first mystery reader on Wednesday. Thank you to Kohavit, Tomer’s mum, who came in to read us a story in Hebrew. It was also Tomer’s birthday so a nice treat for him to have mum come in on his special day!
This morning we went to the Grade 2 Digital Citizenship Fair to learn about different technology programs. We really learnt a lot and were able to do some thinking about how that will be us this time next year!! Ask your child what they learnt.
Reminders for next week:
Monday 20th Nov– Our trip to Fivimart. Please wear suitable clothes and shoes for walking.
Wednesday 22nd- Healthy Snack sale. Your child may bring 10,000 or 20,000 to spend on a healthy snack.
Tickets for the Grade 1-3 musical, ‘How To Eat Like A Child’, are now on sale in the Centre For The Arts. Get yours quick as they will sell out fast. The performance dates are Friday 1st Dec, 5pm and Saturday 2nd of December at 5pm.
There is a ES coffee morning on Friday, November 24, 8:30am – 9:30am in the Community Room. It will be about blogging.
If your child wishes to enter the yearbook cover competition, the details are below.
- For Digital designs please:
- Use the Photoshop template. Download the template here
- Use high resolution photos/graphics of 300dpi (dots per inch)
- DO NOT compress/flatten your Photoshop design into a single image. Keep all layers.
- For Drawing/Painting etc designs please submit two pieces of artwork:
- A4 front cover
- A4 back cover
- Bring your cover(s) to Advancement Office (Room 102, Admin Building) or share your digital file with firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If your creation is a drawing or painting, please clearly mark the envelope with your artwork with your FULL NAME & HOMEROOM
- Please use the following naming convention for digital files:
- YB1718_Cover Contest_Your First Name Last Name_Homeroom
- (example: YB1718_Cover Contest_John Smith_5JH)