Dear 5A Families,
For the first two weeks all Grade 5 students took part in activities that were lead by different Grade 5 teachers. They were aimed at uncovering learning styles, who we are as individuals, problem-solving with numbers and significant times that shape who they are.
In 5A homeroom our main aim this week was to uncover our values and identity as a learning community. We familiarized ourselves with the learner profile as part of our Units of Study (UOI). In Math we identified “math about me” and began a provocation into the order of operations. During our Literacy blocks, we spent time reading independently for pleasure and wrote passionate letters to our future selves.
Most importantly, we took time to get to know each other, and began each morning with friendly greetings and an activity that encouraged cooperation among peers. It’s been a good start, and I am excited to regularly share our learning with you.
Reminders and Dates to Save:
Grade Level Social Event
What: A short (1 hour) social event for families, hosted by the SCO, with cold drinks, snacks, and an opportunity for parents and students to mingle.
Purpose: To bring new and returning families together to connect with one another; to build and reinforce a sense of community within new classes.
When: Tuesday 29th August (Discovery – Grade 2) and Thursday 31st August (Grades 3-5).
Where: Inside homerooms (10 minutes) followed by outside eating, drinking and socialising (till 4.30)
Class Parent Needed
Is your forte in building and strengthening a community?
Do you enjoy communicating and bringing people together?
Then you are the parent Grade 5 is looking for!
We need two Class Parent volunteers who will liaise and assist communication between the SCO and Grade 5 parents all through the school year.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Organize a social gathering for parents in the class and grade level to get to know each other.
- Create a Class Directory to share with the parents in your class.
- Encourage/promote participation in school community events.
- Help to communicate information from the School Community Organisation (SCO) to families
- Support homeroom teachers with their requests. This may include helping to coordinate parent volunteers for a class project, party or field trip.
- Welcome New Families to a class (especially when joining mid-year) and help new families with the transition process.
- Share celebrations, information, issues & initiatives with the SCO Elementary School (ES) Chair and Vice Chair, so that such information can be passed on to the ES Principal.
- Help organize the UN Day Community Lunch for the Early Childhood Centre and Elementary School.
- Liaise with the G5 team leader (Tina Carew).
G5 Activities and Physical Education Requirements
Your child is a pre teen and with this comes the responsibility of organizing their needs. As the weather continues to be hot and sticky, all G5 students need to think about their hygiene requirements. Some suggestions are as follows:
- Use an antiperspirant each day
- Bring a change of clothes for after lunch play
- Have a change of clothes to change into after PE lessons
- Air out shoes to avoid foot odour
With 22 students in a class, you can imagine the range of smells each person delivers and receives. Please have a discussion with your child to decide on their needs and how they may implement these.
Reusable Water Bottles
We are an environmentally aware school and want our students to understand the impact they have by simply using a water bottle that is reusable. To ensure your child never loses their reusable bottle, please write their name and class on the bottle to ensure its safe return.
A reminder to send hats with your children for outside play to protect them from the sun.
UNIS ID Cards
A reminder that G5 students are working towards developing their independence and growing responsibilities, therefore, they are responsible for looking after their ID cards.
By now your child should have brought home their Chromebooks and associated paperwork to fill out. Please return the paperwork to their homeroom teacher ASAP, to ensure your child has full access to their Chromebooks.
Save the Date:
Grade 5 Excursion 27th -29th October 2017
Back to School Night- 7th September
National Day 4th September – No school