It has been another busy week of getting to know some of the systems and routines that we have in place at UNIS to help our school function. We started off with a provocation to our new unit which led to much excitement on Tuesday morning. The children arrived to school to find all four Grade 1 classes in total disarray! As the conversations amongst the children developed many ideas and questions emerged….who was responsible? why did they do this? what should we do? who should we inform?
From Self to Others….
We continued with our self portraits this week but this time with a twist. We created a portrait of a friend by observing them closely and later reflecting on what we noticed about our friend as a result of the task.
A week of visits…getting to know people in our community
Ms. Michelle visited our class on Monday to lead an introductory lesson on getting started with student blogs and portfolio posts. We enjoyed creating our first blog post and worked together to include a title and brief voice-over to explain the work shared. Please check out our blog posts and leave a comment with any questions, comments or wonderings you may have. We look forward to hearing your feedback.
Grade 5 Buddies
We had the pleasure of connecting with our Grade 5 Buddies during Period 1 on Thursday. We will alternate between Assemblies and Buddy Meet-Ups throughout the year and look forward to getting to know each other. Our Grade 5 friends brought along some interesting artefacts that represent important aspects of their identities. They also asked us some questions that they will later use to write a biography about the members of Grade 1C. We are very much looking forward to our next get together.
Ms. Nitasha’s Read Aloud
Ms. Nitasha stopped by on Thursday morning and treated us to a read aloud of one of her favourite stories: The Quangle Wangles hat by Edward Lear. We loved the use of rhyme and silly words throughout the story. Thank you Ms. Nitasha, we look forward to your next visit.
Ms.Beth’s active math lesson
Ms. Beth also stopped by to get us motivated and excited about active math lesson this year. She introduce a fun, new game called 8 for 8. We first reflected on ‘What is Math’ and had fun together identifying different patterns that emerged as we play the game.
This week’s reminders:
- We are looking for a class parent volunteer, please email Miss Anna if you are interested. This position is an essential link between classroom and parents and we are hugely grateful to anyone who wishes to take on this role.
- Thank you to all who attended our Grade 1 social on Tuesday, we look forward to getting together as a community for our upcoming Back to School Night on Thursday September 7th.
- Back to School Night Information: Time: Session 1 (6.00 – 6.30pm), Session 2 (6.35 – 7.05pm) please note that both sessions are the same, we invite you to join whichever time suits you best. Location: Our Classroom (G26, Building 9)
- Please note that due to the National Day Holiday there will be no school next Monday, September 4th.
- Autumn Session 1 of After School Activities (ASA’s) commence next Tuesday, September 5th.
- Library Returns will take place each Monday during period 3, starting next Tuesday September 5th.