14th November 2016
Open Doors – Open Classrooms – Open Minds!
We warmly invite you to our Elementary School Open Classrooms – being held on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th November 2016.
What are Open Classrooms?
Have you ever wondered what inquiry-based learning is like for your child? Here is your chance! Open Classrooms showcase learning in action. For two days, at selected times, our classrooms are open for you to observe lessons that put the philosophy and pedagogy of the Primary Years Programme into practice.
Purpose of Open Classrooms
Open Classrooms is for parents to get an insider’s view of what life is like inside the classrooms at UNIS. By opening up our classroom doors we would like to give parents a glimpse of student-centered, constructivist teaching and learning in action. We aim to demonstrate our inquiry based teaching philosophy which is central to our identity as an IB school.
How does it work?
- Parents may only visit open lessons in classes that their child attends both homeroom and specialists. Please see class 2B schedule below.
What might I see?
All lessons are different, though you may expect to see:
- Lessons that have a clear learning objective which has been explained to the students
- A variety of lessons and subject areas open for parents to observe (and in some cases, you may be invited to participate). Lessons that showcase students demonstrating the Learner Profile
- Lessons that involve students using a variety of transdisciplinary skills (thinking research problem solving, social and self-management skills)
- Lessons that are based on students’ understanding of broad concepts, in addition to specific content (e.g. the concept of “form” in addition to the content of balanced gymnastics movements in PE).
What is my responsibility?
- All parents MUST wear their UNIS Parent ID badge
- Photographing students is not permitted
- Silence all mobile devices and step outside the classroom for urgent phone conversations.
- Please enter classrooms quietly and be on time. We recommend you stay for at least 20 minutes to see the flow of the lesson.
- Do not interact with your children unless invited to do so. Some classes will be ‘observe only’ while others may be more interactive.
We look forward to welcoming you on Thursday 24th and Friday 25th November 2016.
Homeroom Teacher – Alice Borman
|Time||Thursday, November 24||Friday, November 25|
|10:10-10:50||Math 10:30-11:30||World Languages|
|12:25-13:05||Choir with Ms. Noor|
|13:10-13:50||PE with Mr. Mac.|