Grade 6 Science students have been working on a culminating project for our recent chemistry unit on Matter and Change. This has been a Grade 6 Science tradition for the past few years, and some students have done so well with their Chemistry “Magic” that they have even stumped a few teachers!
Students were tasked with the challenge of creating a Chemistry “Magic Trick” video to show off their skills as a magician-scientists. Through the video, they applied their knowledge of physical and chemical changes and also physical and chemical properties. The final Chemistry “Magic Trick” needed to be both safe and successful… and WOW their audience with their “magic”.
Students were asked to create a goal for their video and brainstorm strong research questions which they answered to help them learn about the science behind the trick. Next, they experimented with the trick to identify the most successful and SAFE method for performing a “magical” trick. They posted a draft video and received comments from “Feedback Buddies” made up of two to three students from their class. Finally, they used these tips (as well as some teacher feedback on their research) to write a “Disclaimer” to inform us that we have been fooled: this isn’t really magic, it was science. Their “Disclaimers” included an explanation of the science behind their trick and all the information we would need to be able to do it ourselves.
Our Grade 6 Magician-Scientists took their challenge seriously, and produced some incredible videos! To do this, the students had to develop both their scientific knowledge AND many filming and editing skills to make their magic trick videos believable.
All videos were posted to our SeeSaw classes, and we had a final Popcorn and a Movie lesson where everyone watched the final products, added comments and likes, and voted for their favorites. It was hard to narrow them down, but here are a few of the wonderful videos created.
- Harley Dore – Invisible Ink
- Doyun Kim – Bouncy Egg
- Linh Vuong – Amazing Pepper Trick
- Marlowe McClelland – The Amazing Magic Show with Bob the Great
- Manasa Nadessan – Magical Gloves Trick
- Aanya Barman – Color Changing Milk
- Sandra Ngo – Magical Potion
- Na Nguyen- Eruption in a Cup
- Treshaun Reuter – The Magical Trick that Will Save us From the Aliens
- Momo Iida – Bottle Slam
- Khue Nguyen – Unicorn Tears
- BJ Park – Crushed Unopened Can
- Mitsuki Okabe – Amazing Flame
- Olivia Kim – Liquid Smoke
- Alfie Goosey – Magic Beaker
- Nghia Le – Ice, Ice, Baby
- Sophie Roche – Minion and the Magic Forest
- Greta Mawe – Magic Hands
- Dion Payne – Fireproof Banknote
- Khanh Linh – Magic Dragon Eggs
- Zoe Banh – Magical Artifact
- Jacky Padungtod- Lava Lamp