Creating the most balanced day for our students is a priority each and every school year. Following parent and teacher feedback this school year, we have made some adjustments and improvements to the schedule for the 19/20 school year. We also want to ensure that the day is structured so as to minimize transitions for all students if possible and to allow us to keep our continued commitment to World Languages, PE, and the Visual and Performing Arts.
Ensuring that we are able to create a schedule that kept all those priorities in mind, you will notice the following changes to the school day next year:
- Lunch in the ES will start from 12.20 pm. This means that students will have the ability to engage in a morning of learning, have their lunch and then have a shorter afternoon of learning. We are committed to providing students with regular outdoor recess so we will continue with both morning and afternoon recesses.
- In order to minimise transitions for students the schedule is designed so that students have no more than 2 specialist lessons a day. We are moving from the current model of 40 minute lessons to 50 minute lessons. This will allow teachers to create learning experiences for students where they get to be engaged for longer blocks and also support students walking across our campus without losing out on instructional time.
- Given that lessons will be longer, students will still avail of the same or more amount of instructional time across the curriculum though the number of lessons in some disciplines may be fewer. For example, in the current schedule, students have 6 x 40 minute PE lessons every two weeks, which works out to 240 minutes. Next school year, students in the upper grades will have 5 x 50 minutes of PE, which will have them experiencing 250 minutes of PE in two weeks.
- In order to accomplish all that we are striving for in our schedule next year we are putting in place a Week A and Week B schedule. Elementary School parents will not need to worry about keeping track of Week A and B as PE and (where applicable) Library days will be the same each week.
- In keeping with the other divisions of the school, school will start at 8.10 am and finish at 3.30 pm. ASA’s will finish as usual at 4.30 pm
Detailed schedules will be sent out by your child’s homeroom teacher at the start of the new school year. We remain committed to ensuring that our students have rich and fulfilling days at school where they can learn in ways that will help them grow and thrive. We have worked hard to try and create a schedule that will let us do just that. We look forward to sharing it with you.
Nitasha Crishna Chaudhuri
ES Lower Elementary Deputy Principal