Welcome 5B Community,
This week all Grade 5 students took part in activities that were lead by different Grade 5 teachers. They were aimed at uncovering learning styles, who we are as individuals, problem-solving with numbers and significant times that shape who they are.
In 5B homeroom our main aim this week was to uncover our values as a learning community. We were learning to transition from classroom to classroom with purpose and in a calm manner. We were learning to implement strategies to help us focus and relax. We were learning ways to communicate with our peers that have limited English Language. We were learning:
- to transition from classroom to classroom with purpose and in a calm manner.
- to implement strategies to help us focus and relax.
- ways to communicate with our peers that have limited English Language.
- to organise ourselves so we are ready for lessons.
- to find out about ourselves and others so we can better support learning.
5B Students have had two sessions with Ms. Michelle (ICT coordinator) to help iron out any Chromebook issues and teach students how to use their accounts, blogs and google calendars for reminders. When individual 5B students are capable of showing they are responsible Chromebook users, they will be able to start bringing their Chromebooks home. I will endeavour to blog a “Helpful Hints” section for parents to ensure students are being safe as they traverse the internet.
As we get underway, the Grade 5 team will construct a “Live Curriculum Update” page for you to view current areas of learning your child will focus on each month. This will be updated on the first of each month starting from September. Keep an eye out for this.
Reminders and Dates to Save:
Grade Level Social Event
What: A short (1 hour) social event for families, hosted by the SCO, with cold drinks, snacks, and an opportunity for parents and students to mingle.
Purpose: To bring new and returning families together to connect with one another; to build and reinforce a sense of community within new classes.
When: Tuesday 29th August (Discovery – Grade 2) and Thursday 31st August (Grades 3-5).
Where: Inside homerooms (10 minutes) followed by outside eating, drinking and socialising (till 4.30)
Class Parent Needed
Is your forte in building and strengthening a community?
Do you enjoy communicating and bringing people together?
Then you are the parent Grade 5 is looking for!
We need two Class Parent volunteers who will liaise and assist communication between the SCO and Grade 5 parents all through the school year.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Organize a social gathering for parents in the class and grade level to get to know each other.
- Create a Class Directory to share with the parents in your class.
- Encourage/promote participation in school community events.
- Help to communicate information from the School Community Organisation (SCO) to families
- Support homeroom teachers with their requests. This may include helping to coordinate parent volunteers for a class project, party or field trip.
- Welcome New Families to a class (especially when joining mid-year) and help new families with the transition process.
- Share celebrations, information, issues & initiatives with the SCO Elementary School (ES) Chair and Vice Chair, so that such information can be passed on to the ES Principal.
- Help organize the UN Day Community Lunch for the Early Childhood Centre and Elementary School.
- Liaise with the G5 team leader (Tina Carew).
G5 Activities and Physical Education Requirements
Your child is a pre teen and with this comes the responsibility of organising their needs. As the weather continues to be hot and sticky, all G5 students need to think about their hygiene requirements. Some suggestions are as follows:
- Use an antiperspirant each day
- Bring a change of clothes for after lunch play
- Have a change of clothes to change into after PE lessons
- Air out shoes to avoid foot odour
With 22 students in a class, you can imagine the range of smells each person delivers and receives. Please have a discussion with your child to decide on their needs and how they may implement these.
Reusable Water Bottles
We are an environmentally aware school and want our students to understand the impact they have by simply using a water bottle that is reusable. To ensure your child never loses their reusable bottle, please write their name and class on the bottle to ensure its safe return.
A reminder to send hats with your children for outside play to protect them from the sun.
UNIS ID Cards
A reminder that G5 students are working towards developing their independence and growing responsibilities, therefore, they are responsible for looking after their ID cards.
By now your child should have brought home their Chromebooks and associated paperwork to fill out. Please return the paperwork to their homeroom teacher ASAP, to ensure your child has full access to their Chromebooks.
Save the Date:
Grade 5 Excursion 27th -29th October 2017
Back to School Night- 7th September
National Day 4th September – No school
Photo’s of the Week that Was