4D has been very busy establishing ‘norms’ of our classroom learning community. We’ve had a lot of discussion about how we can make the PYP Attitudes and IB Learner Profile part of who we are every day. As we read aloud Wonder, we reflect on the characters, the choices they make and how they demonstrate positive characteristics that we can learn from. We have begun to “Spy” each other showing these positive charecteristics and we are giving each other “I Spy” awards for what we notice. So far we have “spied” students staying in to clean up, take risks to answer questions, sit next to students who were alone, return lost items and cheer other students up when they feel sad.
Week in Review:
- Math: Exploring patterns, their relationships, what it means to be a mathematician and setting up Math routines and expectations including Math games and number talks.
- English: Setting up routines and expectations, including Independent Reading and Writing Responses.
- UOI: Introducing our Unit of Inquiry “How the World Works,” which is an inquiry into Earth’s surface and how it changes over time as a result of natural processes and our activity
- I-Time: Build a balloon-powered: Students worked in small groups with the same materials to create a balloon powered car. They learned a bit about data collection and fair testing, but even more about team work and solving problems.IMG_0075-1r6xf5c
- Buddies: We met with our K2 buddies (Ms. Cathies Class) interviewed each other and got to know each other.
- Other: Setting up and learning to use Chromebooks and Ipads and how to write a blog.
Here is a video of how to play one of the Math games we learned this week.
* Please see Curriculum section for curriculum details for each unit if you would like to know more about what is next.
- No school Monday September 4
- Field trip to Soc Son- September 8- to study landforms. A permission slip with more information will go home this Friday.
- Back to School Night- September 7