Have a fabulous Spring Break! I hope you all have a very restful, fun holiday with your family.
On Monday this week Ayan’s mum came to talk to us about Holi, the Hindu festival of colours. If you would like to share one of your home country celebrations with the class, please let me know! We would love you to help us learn!On Tuesday we had a mini “maker day” where the children had the opportunity to have a go at a variety of “light” and “sound” experiences.
First the students had a go at making sound in our homeroom:
Then the children went to Ms Penny’s class where they played with sound and light:
After that, 1D moved to Ms Kristin’s class where they got to take things apart:
Finally, the children went to Ms Anna’s room where they learned how to make circuits:
On Thursday we continued our exploration of sound by visiting a HS Music class. The HS students each show-cased their instrument before treating us to a performance.
Some of our wonderings so far are:
- Why when you put the light on the mirror does the light comes backward?
- The water glasses – what happens when you put more water inside?
- How did the play-dough become a conductor?
- How does the string work so that we can hear voices in the cup?
- Why do cymbals vibrate?
- How do the instruments make sounds?
- Why are some of the instruments curly?
- How do the instruments vibrate?
- Why does the big drum make a low-pitched sound?
We’ll be finding out the answer to some of these questions after the break!
- School starts back again Monday 8th April
- Student-led conferences are on April 19th from 8-4 (special timetable for Grade 1). More information to follow after the break.
- Swimming continues to be on Monday and Wednesday after the break for another 5 weeks.