Dear Middle School Parents and Students,
At UNIS Hanoi Middle School, our Distance Learning schedule helps to keep teachers, students, and parents organized. This schedule follows your student’s on-campus block schedule and is easily visible in Veracross. It only works well if we all use it! The schedule is based on Hanoi time to help organize people from afar and align with Veracross portals and data.
- Parents please do your part to make sure that your student is getting the most from our Distance Learning Program by following their schedule.
- Students please make sure that you start each day by checking Veracross for asynchronous tasks and that you are online and ready for your synchronous lessons and mentor check-ins on time.
If you have an academic question or concern, do not hesitate to reach out to our teachers directly. If you have a social/emotional concern please contact your mentor or counsellor.
Middle School Student daily “schedules”
In the Middle School,
- Mentors check in with students 2 times per week, on Mondays and Thursdays. These times provide insight into student’s and their levels of engagement in Distance Learning as well as social and emotional well-being.
- Curriculum Teams meet on Thursday to gauge the weeks Distance Learning Lessons, tasks, and feedback to students.
- Grade Level Teams meet on Mondays to discuss students of concern, upcoming assignments, and monitor Distance Learning engagement.
- Middle School Leadership Teams meet on Mondays to lay out the curricular and pastoral week. Counselors, Curriculum Leaders, Grade Level Leaders, and Administrators are all members of this team.
- Teacher Office Hours from 10:00AM – 1:00PM every weekday. All students can use Google Hangouts to reach any teacher with comments or questions about Distance Learning.
- Asynchronous Lesson plans are posted to Veracross according to student schedules on days of classes.
- Synchronous Lessons occur once per week according to student schedules.
- As families make decisions that may mean students are no longer in the school’s time zone it may not be convenient for your child to join these sessions. They would then be optional only. To ensure continued regular contact, teachers will continue using Office Hours by appointment within reasonable hours outside the school day.
- If your family plans on leaving Hanoi, please let us know by contacting the Middle School Office Secretary Ms. Nhung email@example.com
Next week students will be completing our Distance Learning Checklist for each of their academic classes. The Checklists were developed by Curricular Teams in order to help ensure every UNIS Hanoi Middle School student is able to achieve our curricular learning objectives. These objectives come directly from our curricular standards for each class and are the essential knowledge and skills that students should learn during a course.
The tasks, assignments, assessments, and other face to face interactions that teachers have been providing during Distance Learning, or face to face instruction, are chosen to help students develop in-depth and enduring understandings around these key learning objectives.
In order to complete the checklist, students will be guided through a teacher-led review of past weeks and the learning objectives associated with the activities. Students will then be able to rate their level of understanding as “secure, partially secure, and no knowledge”. We are using a traffic light (green, yellow, red) system for ease of understanding. This process will provide valuable data and will allow us to achieve the goals of:
- Celebrating the learning that has been happening by making it visible to students, teachers and parents
- Assisting teachers to make informed decisions about revision, reteaching and necessary adjustments in upcoming tasks and assessments
- Validating the work and effort that students, teachers and parents have put in during Distance Learning by tying it directly to achievement of standards
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Thank you for your support.