In reading, we continue to focus on nonfiction by using our comprehension strategies of asking questions and making connections before, during, and after we read. Students investigated how to read nonfiction by using text features such as the table of contents and index. Throughout the week, students are using these strategies to share their thoughts and ideas with each other.
In writing, students brainstormed topics they are knowledgeable about to write an informational report. After selecting a topic they are passionate about, they focused on the structure of a report by using a graphic organizer to plan their micro-topics and details. With help from a partner, writers are beginning to draft their information reports.
Our inquiry into fractions has produced some interesting examples and non-examples of fraction area models. Check your students’ Seesaw for more information.
Students discussed the importance of maps as a tool for exploration. They drew bird’s eye view maps of our ES courtyard, playground, and sports facilities:
- Monday, 21 8:40-11:00: Walking Field Trip (please bring a hat and suitable walking shoes)
- Tuesday, 22 Jan: Field Trip to Temple of Literature (please bring a hat, suitable walking shoes, water bottle, and snack)
- Wednesday, 30 Jan: Parent-Teacher Conferences, no school for ES students
- Thursday, 31 Jan: Tet Assembly – students are invited to wear Ao Dai (and bring a change of clothes)
- Thursday, 31 Jan: 4th Grade Market Day – 2nd grade can bring money in to purchase food, beverages, and handmade items as well as play games…all for great causes selected by fourth grade students
- Friday, 1 Feb 1:15-3:00: Blue Dragon Walkathon (see below) – parent volunteers needed
- 2-10 Feb: Tet Holiday – Happy Lunar New Year!
Walk-a-Thon for Blue Dragon Children’s Foundation
On Friday, February 1st, 2019
1:15 pm- 3:00 pm
“Thanks to the great support of the United Nations International School of Hanoi (UNIS Hanoi) through the Elementary School Walkathon, many disadvantaged children in rural Bac Ninh were able to attend school in the 2017-2018 school year. With the 17,707 USD raised by the Walkathon, school fees and insurance were paid, and children were supplied with uniforms, books and stationery items.”
See more about Blue Dragon and how this wonderful organization benefits so many children in Vietnam here.
- Rescued 810 people from trafficking
- Represented 73 people in court cases
- Sent 4,972 kids back to school & training
- Provided shelter to 667 girls & boys
- Placed 279 teens in jobs
- Served 512,560 meals
- Built 100 homes for families
- Reunited 520 runaways with their families
- Obtained legal papers for 11,634 people
- Played 2,565 games of soccer!
This year we’re hoping to raise even more money and help even more children.
You will receive a Sponsorship (pledge) form from your ES child,
So get ready to walk or run for fun and a great cause!