Welcome back families! It was wonderful to be reunited with the children after such a long time apart. The children enjoyed sharing maps from their vacation adventures. We also had a few children bring in objects/souvenirs from their trips. We discussed how sometimes objects can help us remember people and places and therefore make connections to events from our past and to people who are not present. I used our time apart as a way to introduce a new visible thinking routine called Think, Pair, Share. This is a great way to limit the amount of talking I do during our “big ideas” time and to let the children have ownership of our conversations. We practiced sitting elbow to elbow, knee to knee. I asked the children to talk with their partner about what they did over the holiday. When time was up, I then asked the children to share something their partner had told them. This is a great way to practice how to be a good listener. We will continue to add other visible thinking routines to our day.
Tuesday was Sustainable Development Goals day with Discovery and K1. Discovery was exploring SDG# 12-Responsible Consumption and Production. Ms. Charla was looking at SDG #4 Quality Education, Ms. M was doing #15 Life under water and our class explored SDG#5 Gender Equality. The children are excited about the SDG’s and we will continue to examine them in the upcoming weeks using another visible thinking routine called Color, Symbol, Image and see if the children can create SDG’s of their own.
UN Day Monday – important information for K1
- children should come to school already wearing their national dress
- drop off your community lunch contributions in the ECC gym before the assembly
- be seated in the Sports Centre by 11am
- after the assembly, meet your child back at our classroom for lunch and dismissal – please do not take your children from the Sports Centre, nor pull them out of the class line walking back to the ECC
- each child will be marked off as they are picked up from the classroom. Let Ms. Jacqui know if you are taking your child home, or if s/he is taking the bus.
- once you collect your child from the classroom s/he is under your care -please help your child with lunch and supervise on the playground
- dismissal is at 1pm. Children going home on the bus should be brought back to the classroom at 12:50. Thank you!
- Friday October 25th: Final swimming session
- Thursday October 31st: Dress up day – more details will be shared in the Tin Tuc
- Show and tell will start the last week of October. Please see details in next week’s blog
Enjoy photos from Week 9