This week we continued our inquiry under the transdisciplinary theme ‘Who we are,‘ with the central idea: ‘We know we belong and have a sense of connection to others and the environment.‘ The children shared their country flags and their connections to their home countries. We worked on designing our own, unique flags that represent who we are and our connections to each other in Discovery and K1.
This week we started Show and Tell. The children did a wonderful job sharing their items from home with each other. This was a favourite time of day for most students. Please see details about next week’s Show and Tell below.
In math we are exploring numerals and practicing finger patterns – different ways to use our fingers to represent numbers.
On Thursday we enjoyed our dress up day. We also attended a school spirit assembly to welcome visiting High School basketball teams.
Please note that I will be away from school Wednesday, Thursday and Friday next week. I will be in Singapore helping a new school work towards becoming an International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme (PYP) school. This is something that I do as an IB Consultant – a role that I hold with the IB, as well as teacher trainer and school evaluator. Please contact Ms. Nhung and/or the ECC office if you have any important information to communicate, such as changes in pick up.
Ms. Nhung: firstname.lastname@example.org
ECC office: email@example.com
As we move into our new unit of inquiry ‘How the world works’ we will be creating a K1A Maker Space. “A ‘Makerspace’ is a metaphor for a unique learning environment that encourages tinkering, play and open-ended exploration for all,” Laura Fleming, author of Worlds of Making. Please send in any clean materials that would be useful for the children to build with. Examples include yoghurt pots, tubes, cereal boxes…. It would also be useful for the children to have old keyboards, broken calculators or other bits of technology that you no longer require that do not hold electricity.
Please see this link for photos from this week: K1A Media Folder
- Show and Tell continues next week – see below for details
- Thursday November 7th: Outdoor Classroom day – see below for details
- Monday November 11th: Professional Development Day – no school for students
Show and Tell
- We will have Show & Tell every week unless otherwise noted in the Tin Tuc
- Your child will have the same Show & Tell day every week
- Please help your child choose 1 item only. Each week I will post a note in the Tin Tuc about what the children should bring for Show & Tell the following week. Next week, please help your child bring in another favourite object from home (toy, book, photo….)
- Please do not let your child bring toys or other valuable items to school that are not for Show & Tell
- Please do not send toys and other objects to school on other days of the week
- Tuesdays: Anu, Ella, Eunjae, Faas
- Wednesdays: Fula, Kairi, Max, Mayra
- Thursdays: Mici, Mina, Nimo, Noah K.
- Fridays: Noah T., Shao-ting, Thomas, Zayn
Outdoor Classroom Day:
On Thursday November 7th, the Elementary School will participate in international Outdoor Classroom Day. To help make this day successful, please make sure that your child:
-wears sunscreen to school
-is dressed appropriately for the weather
-has a hat
-has a full water bottle
Thank you for your support!