We are on the final stretch towards the end of the year and only weeks away from having third graders on our hands. The time has flown by however there is still lots of learning to be done. Here is a snapshot of the upcoming learning taking place in the whole of grade two.
Unit of Inquiry: How We Express Ourselves- Cultures express creativity in many ways- is our central idea.
Our teacher questions include:
How is culture the same or different to a community? (May 15- 22)
How do cultures express themselves? What forms do they use? (May 22- 29)
How do we know what influences our creative choices?
What forms can we choose to express our cultures?
Save the Date! Thursday, June 8 we will have an Expression Extravaganza from 2:10-3:20- we hope you can join.
In Mathematics: We are investigating fractions (1/2, 1/4, 1/8 and 1/3), 2D and 3D shapes, Length and Area with informal measurements, Flips, Slides, Half and Quarter turns, and becoming fluent with:
- talking about math,
- finding shortcuts,
- checking our work,
- modeling math in many different ways,
- looking for patterns,
- thinking about math,
- keep trying,
- Using math tools.
In Literacy and Writing:
We are returning to narrative writing and reading through poetry and storytelling. We are looking at using:
- A range of nouns and noun groups (common and proper) are used to describe people and places.
- Descriptive words and sentences are used, relating to: size, colour, shape, number, texture, position, and action, to describe a noun and noun groups.
- Understanding of noun/pronoun relationship.
- Action verbs and relating verbs (e.g. is, was).
- Predominate use of simple sentences and compound sentences using simple conjunctions.
- Student demonstrates some use of complex sentences.