On Tuesday K2C learned the procedure for making mayonnaise. A big thank you to Hans and his dad, Mr Louis for teaching us!
A lot of time this week in K2C was spent on preparing ‘goods and services’ for next Tuesday’s K2 Market Day ! This is the summative task for our ‘How We Organize Ourselves’ unit of inquiry! Here’s a video of behind the scenes, as K2C organize themselves for market day.
Did you know, K2C is a part of ‘the Tribe of Travelling Tales‘. This involves writing around the world in the classroom without walls. Travelling Tales connects classrooms so they can collaborate to create a tale. K2C ( and three other International Schools) helped to create this tale about Crab and Snail. Listen carefully- can you recognize any K2C friends’ voices? Travelling Tales encourages us all to think more about the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s) to help transform our world.
In Math this week, we read the ‘counting by feet’ story One is a Snail, Ten is a Crab! This is what inspired the students in Thailand who wrote the beginning of this travelling tale. K2C also had some fun exploring and creating new games using Tiny Polka Dots cards.
Our literacy learning continues to focus on concepts of print. When looking at books at home, parents can consolidate their child’s understanding of print concepts by talking about:
- Directional rules “I want to point to the words as I read. Show me how my finger should move on the page as I read. Where do I go after that?”
- Voice print pairing (First modeled by the adult): “Now you point to the words as I read them.”
- Punctuation Point to all available forms of punctuation. “What is this for? Do you know what is called?”
- Capital and lower-case letters Using the text of a book say, “Show me a capital letter. Show me a lower-case letter.”
- Letter concepts “Show me just one letter. Do you know the name of that letter? Show me another letter. What sound does that letter make? What are vowels?”
- Word Concepts “Show me just one word. Show me two words.How many sight words can you find in this book?”
- Sentences– What is a sentence? How do you know?How many sentences are on this page?
- Verbs- A verb is an action word. ( run, hop, jump, run, mix etc.) How many verbs can you find in the book?
Everyday we have a morning message and I am so amazed at how clever K2C are now at decoding, finding the missing vowels and reading the message.
Wow! So much fun things are happening in PE during the month of March!
1- ECC and ES Swimming
All ECC and ES swimming will start on Monday March 25th. Our swimming model has changed from previous years so for more info check out the Aquatics Blog or email Mr. Hamilton. Swimming starts next week. K2C will need to bring their swimming gear on Mondays and Wednesdays.
The ECC and ES Swimming Schedule can be found here: ECC/ES Swimming Schedule
2- SPORTS DAY
Friday March 29th will be our Elementary Sports Morning so make sure to come cheer your child on! All students from Discovery to Grade 5 will be participating in various games and sporting activities.
K2: Fun Sports Morning
Time: 8:10- 10:45 am
Location: Large field behind the Sports Centre