Firstly, I want to say a big THANK YOU to Carmen Kuebler ( Basti’s Mum), for raising her hand to be our K2C class parent! I assume you have seen the email she sent on Wednesday, inviting K2 families to a K2 social event :
Sunday, September 30th –
- K2 Social! Moose and Roo Smokehouse, 3-5pm.
- (21 Hai Bà Trưng, Hàng Bài, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội)
- Any questions? Please email: email@example.com
- At home, you might like to talk more about concepts we have introduced this week in K2, such as: making good choices, compost, reducing food waste, reusing both sides of the paper, saving water, caring for the environment and recycling.WE WANT YOUR JUNK– in particular, K2C are collecting used cardboard cylinder and small cardboard boxes. We will turn your trash into ‘treasures’ ! ( As well as think about, sort and describe 2-D shapes and 3-Dimensional objects in our environment.)
Looking for Learning : When children are all engaged in play and on task, I take time to look closely at student’s skills: approaches to learning. ( ATL’s)
For example, yesterday when children were working independently on the task of cutting, pasting and matching photos of classmates with the beginning letter sound on their alphabet chart, I was looking closely at the way they can control scissors, hold a pencil, stay focussed on the task and clean up their own mess. I also found out who is knowledgeable about their friends names and the alphabet.
Monday 1st October is Parent Teacher conferences. I look forward to meeting with K2C parents. Together we will share hopes and dreams, and set some goals for your child as we discuss your child’s ATL’s. I wonder which of the above skills do you feel are your child’s strengths? Which do you feel are goals your child to work on in K2 ?
Ms Beth led a fun, informative parent information session this morning on how we teach MATHEMATICS at UNIS and how you can help your child at home to develop a mathematicians mindset. Here’s a link to some wonderful resources.
Here are some photos of K2C enjoy playing math games. Ask your child to tell you how they play them. Starting after October break, I will be inviting K2C parents to join in our Monday Morning Math Games, ( 8:15-8:45 am ) Your child can teach you to grow your Math Mind and learn about number concepts by playing games.What is a structure? During our Unit of Inquiry learning this week we had some ‘hands on fun’ as we started designing and creating ‘structures’. K2C have shown increased perseverence, and willingness to learn from mistakes when building spaghetti towers, rock sculptures and a playground for ducklings!
Here is a link to a video of some of K2C’s ‘Learning from ducks’, that inspired our assembly item !
- “My Body Belongs to Me” – being aware of and taking care of my body
- “Safe Touch”/ “Comfortable and Uncomfortable feelings” – understanding personal boundaries and how to keep yourself safe
10-ways-to-teach-your-child- the-skills-to-prevent-sexual- abuse/
SWIMMING UPDATECorrection: Last week there was a mistake in the dates of the K2 and Grade 1 swimming. The unit will run one week longer than stated. Our first swimming unit dates are: September 24- October 26. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.Here is the direct link to the PE blog: