This week the second round of invitations went out this week for Flag Bearers for our UN Day celebrations.
The second round, is to assign flag bearers for those few remaining flags which were not accepted in the first round through our random lottery system.
Please be sure to check your email and confirm participation by REPLY TO THE EMAIL before 18:00 on Monday October 29. If we do not receive a response to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline the invitation will be re-assigned to another student.
The UN Day assembly opens with the Parade of Nations a dramatic celebration of the 195 Full Member and Observer States of the United Nations.
We follow a strict procedure to try and be as fair as possible to all and are sorry for any disappointments. We share the procedure in full below for transparency. This has been a system that we have used for three years and is reviewed every year with community input.
If you have any questions, please contact our Director of Advancement, Emma Silva: email@example.com
Parade of Nations – Flag Bearer Selection Procedure
- We include all the flags of the 195 United Nations member states in the UN Day Parade of Nations. (193 full member states and 2 observer states: Palestine and Holy See)
- The flags from the 68 member states represented in our community in 2018-2019 will be paraded downstairs in the Sports Centre carried by students from those countries. The 127 other flags will be upstairs in the balcony parade and can be carried by students from any nation.
- Students in Grades 1-12 are eligible to carry flags. We will invite one ES (G1-G5) and one MSHS (G6-12) student from each national group to carry their national flag (2 bearers per flag). Exceptions to this general rule as follows:
- If the only student from a country is in Grade D-K2, they may carry their flag assisted by an appointed MSHS student chaperone.
- Students in Grades 1-11 may not be selected to carry their nation’s flag downstairs for two consecutive years in any national group with more than two students represented. They can still be selected to represent a member state in the balcony parade.
- In recognition of our graduating class’s final year, we will invite the oldest of our G12 students to carry the flag of their nationality. There are 23 nationalities represented in this year’s graduating class.
- In the case that there are only students from a country in one division, two students will be selected from that division. Please note for Elementary School one flag bearer would be selected from G1-3 and one from G4-5 in order for the older student to support the younger flag bearer.
- Students performing in the UNIS Hanoi Symphonic Orchestra may not carry a flag.
- We determine a student’s nationality based on the country/ies of citizenship (passport/s) registered in the UNIS Hanoi school information system. Individual affinity, heritage, family history or past place of residence is not taken into consideration.
- All invitations will be issued by lottery (random selection based on individual Veracross Student ID) within national groups. The goal is to provide every eligible student with equal opportunity.
- If any student invited does not want to carry their country’s flag, the replacement bearer is then drawn by lottery from the national group in their division. Flag bearers do not have the option to transfer their invitation to a family member or friend.
- The 127 flags from the other UN member states will be carried by students selected by lottery from G4-G11 (one bearer per flag). Again, replacements will also be selected by lottery from this group.
- Invitation and confirmation process as follows. Please note that invitations for all flag bearers go out at the same time. This year invitations will be sent before Friday October 5:
- The initial invitation is sent to parent 1 email, CC parent 2 email and student email (for students from G4 and above) with clear instructions to confirm before the deadline of Monday October 22 at 18:00.
- If we do not receive a response to firstname.lastname@example.org before the deadline the invitation will be re-assigned to another student.
- A reminder will be sent before the deadline on Friday October 19.
- Confirmation will be sent from UNIS Hanoi when we receive a response to accept or refuse the invitation by parent or student and cc’d to the original recipients.
- A second round of ‘lottery’ generated invitations will go out on Tuesday October 23 with a deadline of Monday October 29 at 18.00. There will be no reminder for second round invitations.
- If following two rounds of invitations, there are flags which do not have bearers, student council/senate will be engaged in the process.