Greetings 5A Community
Wednesday, 22nd January: Student/Parent/Teacher conferences
ES will be hosting Parent, Student and Teacher Conferences from 8am-4pm. We will talk about your child’s report card and review the goals that your child made earlier in the school year. Please note that conferences will only be held with your child. Siblings will be asked to wait outside our classroom. Also, it is optional to see specialist teachers for this conference.
Thursday, 23rd January: Tet Assembly
Friday, January 24: First day of Tet holiday break
Monday, February 3: First day back at school after Tet holiday break
Wednesday, February 5th: SCO movie night
Friday, February 28th: Blue Dragon Walk-a-thon and PYPx parent information morning.
Grade 4 Market Service Day
When: TUESDAY 14 January 10:45-12:00
Bring: maximum of 100,000 VND to spend
The products and services being sold will range from 10,000 VND to 50,000 VND.
All profits will go to organizations that support Children’s Rights.
A very warm welcome back to the whole 5A community. I trust you all enjoyed your break and have returned feeling refreshed and ready for the second semester. It has been lovely to reconnect and to hear holiday stories.
5A kicked off our new energy unit with a power outage provocation on Monday, to get students thinking about the high value of energy in our daily lives. Students did a range of activities to burn calories which we converted into watt-hours in the hope of earning enough wattage to power a range of electrical devices in our classroom. A decision was made to combine the watt-hours across the grade level, which meant we had just enough power for a single projector and laptop to enjoy a film together – The boy who harnessed the wind.
For the rest of the week, students have been learning about unit-specific vocabulary, how atoms are made up, what electricity is and how current and static electricity are different from one another. Next week, we will be getting more hands-on as students will design information posters and create circuits.
We would welcome experts to share their knowledge with us around the topics of renewable and sustainable energy. Please contact the G5 team to arrange a visit.
Our writing text type is Explanation. We will be reading a range of non-fiction explanations, with most of them connected to our ‘Energy’ UOI. Students will become familiar with the structural elements of this text type, which will support their PYPx report writing, extend their recount writing and develop their persuasive writing skills.
The following learning objectives will be the focus during the coming weeks.
- Count by quarters halves and thirds, including with mixed numerals. Locate and represent these fractions on a number line.
- Recognise that the place value system can be extended to tenths and hundredths.
- Make connections between fractions and decimal notation.
- Compare and order common unit fractions and locate and represent them on a number line.
- Investigate strategies to solve problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions with the same denominator.
- Compare, order and represent decimals.
Dinner Time Talk
- What is current electricity and how does it differ from static electricity?
- What is the correct way of reading this number – 3.45?
- What do you think this quotation means?