I’m looking forward to meeting you all for our Learning Conversations on Thursday, October 1st! Just a friendly reminder to please bring your child to this conversation.
Learning Conferences- October 1 (no students at school)
During Learning Conference Day parents and students will be given the opportunity to attend a 15 minute scheduled Zoom meeting. This is an opportunity for your child to share their learning and goals with you.
On September 28, students will post their thoughts on who they are as a learner (reader/mathematician/writer/classmate) on Seesaw. This will give you an opportunity to see the post before the Learning Conference. You are invited to add a comment to this reflection thread in the Seesaw post before the conference on October 1.
During the conference we will follow the format below:
- Open the Learning conference by sharing your child’s reflection from Seesaw.
- Discuss their goals and any work samples they may want to share
- Engage in conferences with parents.
- Go over how your child has settled and provide feedback on areas we will be working on.
- Give you the opportunity to ask questions or clarifications.
Explorations This Week
- We have been exploring the characteristics of Earth’s surface and factors that cause it to change. Who knew that a volcano could develop in your backyard! We have done an investigation into the “Ring of Fire” and are looking more closely at different types of rocks.
- In reading, we have been discussing the different ways that readers connect with what they are reading. As writers, we have begun to look at what makes a good procedure.
- Students have set goals in class that will be shared during our learning conversations. These goals will be targeted for 6 weeks and then a new goal will be set.
- We have begun a new math unit. During this unit we will be exploring :
- The value of a number is determined by the place of its digits.
- Using rounding is an appropriate estimation strategy for solving problems and estimating.
- We can find patterns in numbers and their relationship that help us solve problems.
- Understanding the value of numbers and the relationship of those numbers helps us problem-solve flexibly.
Have a great weekend!