This week, we launched our year-long unit into How We Express Ourselves by learning how and why the Vietnamese culture celebrates Tet Trung Thu (Moon Festival). Next week we start a new unit of inquiry; please see below for information to support your child.
QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR CHILD
- What does it mean to be “open-minded”?
- What does it mean to be a “risk taker”?
- What do the people of Vietnam value and how do they show it during Moon Festival?
- How is Moon Festival similar to a festival from your culture? How is it different?
- What activities did you do during reading rotations this week?
Digital Citizenship – An inquiry into “How We Organize Ourselves”.
The concepts below will be taught in class, however, it would be of great
assistance to help your child become familiar with the main unit components
and vocabulary in order to maximize their learning experiences and make
connections in class.
This is especially important for non mother-tongue English speaking students.
Please translate the following into your child’s mother tongue in order to
develop their linguistic abilities and foster their conceptual development. Any
extra reading, websites, movies or learning experiences you may give your
child in their mother tongue to compliment this unit, would be extremely
Central Idea: Choices that digital citizens make impact the global
-Purposes and forms of digital technology
-Ways to evaluate media
citizen, computer virus, digital, digital citizen, digital footprint, download, email,
internet, media, message, offline, online, private, technology, URL, website,
Wide Web (WWW)
Class Parent Needed
We still need a class parent for 2A. If you would like to consider this role please contact Paul Lundsay email@example.com and myself for more information.
Typing at home – Some parents have asked about optimal typing practice at home. Remember there is no expectation students need to be doing extra typing at home.
1. Typing Club, Use you child’s UNIS Google accounts (Your child can write this down in their home reading journal if they cannot remember) to sign in. See the below screenshots. This site will keep track of student progress.
2. Dance Typing, Flash needs to be downloaded. No login required, no sign up required.
- Friday, September 27: EAL Coffee Morning with Mr. David Carter; 8:30 – 9:30 Creativity Space
- Monday, September 30 (10:00am – 6:00pm): ES Parent-Teacher Conferences (no school/ASAs/UMA)
- Next week is Week B. Library is Tuesday
- Monday 23rd and Tuesday 24th September Mr Daniel is involved in professional development and will not be in the homeroom. Please contact Ms Ha or the Elementary Office on these days.