International Kindness Day
This week, we learned more about Kindness and how to be kind to our friends, teachers and family. We took fun photos near our letters this week and read many books about how to be kindWe wrote about what kindness means to us and drew pictures of how we can be kind. How can you share and show kindness?
Our New Unit of Inquiry
This week we transitioned to a new inquiry into how understanding living things helps us share our environment and resources. We completed a pre-assessment task outlining what we already know about a chosen animal and used non-fiction book resources to find out more information. Over the course of this unit we will look at developing our research skills particularly through the use of non-fiction resources such as Epic!, Pebblego and library book resources. Below is an overview of what we will be learning throughout this unit.
* Please note that we will go on a field trip to Curious Kid as part of our inquiry on Friday, November 29th from 8:15am-12:30pm. You will receive a field trip form next week outlining the details. Your child will need a snack and home lunch on this day.
To kick of our new unit, we searched for Non-Fiction books in the library! Check your child’s library bag and home reader bags for non-fiction books. Please remember to discuss the Table of Contents, Glossary and Index pages in these non fiction texts.
This week we had Yulysis’ mom and her friend ‘Goblin’ come and read us a story in Korean. We loved all of the interactions and theatrics from the story. Thank you for being a very entertaining Mystery Reader.
Open Classrooms: Tuesday, November 19th
We warmly invite you to our Elementary School Open Classrooms – Tuesday 19th November.
What are Open Classrooms?
On the day, at selected times, our classrooms are open for you to observe lessons that put the philosophy and pedagogy of the Primary Years Programme into practice.
Purpose of Open Classrooms
Open Classrooms is for parents to get an insider’s view of what life is like inside the classrooms at UNIS. By opening up our classroom doors we would like to give parents a glimpse of student-centered, constructivist teaching and learning in action. We aim to demonstrate our inquiry based teaching philosophy which is central to our identity as an IB school.
How does it work?
- Classrooms across all subject areas in the ES will be designated as ‘open house’ events for certain lessons – 19th November, 2019.
- A minimum of two lessons will be designated as ‘open’ in your child’s homeroom class
- All specialist lessons will be designated as ‘open’
- Parents may attend any of their child’s open lessons – both homeroom classes and specialist lessons.
- Parents may only visit open lessons in classes that their child attends.
- Please be aware that not all lessons are designated as ‘open’. Be sure to check the schedule below
The designated lessons for 1A are:
In addition to open homeroom and specialist classes, our Literacy and Math coaches (Ms. Angela and Ms.Beth) will be running concurrent sessions on number talks and word inquiry. If you have the time please join them for one or both of these highly informative sessions in B08b rooms 115 & 116 (rooms above the canteen).
- 7:50 -8:10am
- 8:10 – 8:30am
- 15:00 – 15:20pm
- On Tuesday, November 19th there will be Open Classrooms.
- December 2-12: Amazing Art Auction.
- December 7 & 8 ES Aristocats Musical for students in Grades 2 & 3.