Greeting 5B Community,
Welcome to our first blog post of the year. We have had a wonderful time this week getting to know each other by engaging in team building activities and developing routines that allow us to work safely and productively. I feel very privileged to be working with your children.
Class schedules and calendars have been sent home. For new families to 5B, the calendars identify holidays, special celebrations and teacher only days that take place throughout the year. It is advisable to look over the months ahead to avoid unexpected surprises.
This blog is the main form of communication between 5B and home. Each week I will post what we have done during the week and preview what to expect the following week. Reminders of important dates to save will be posted and updated. I add ‘Dinner Time Talk’ questions which are a great way to engage in conversations with your child about school.
Additionally, I like to post photos of 5B students hard at work and your feedback via the comments section below each post is valued and appreciated.
Kai Takes On Grade Five and Wins!
- Your child’s homeroom and specialist classes. If you have more than one child, you will receive ONE email, with news from each of your child’s teachers.
- Your child’s school division (Elementary, Middle or High school)
- Whole school news
This year students are using ‘Seesaw’ to share and communicate with families! Your child will post to Seesaw to share their learning. Seesaw is private; only people who are invited to view will see posts created by your child. It is also a great way for other members of your child’s extended family to share in what they are up to at school.
Please Sign Up Now
- Click on this link: https://app.seesaw.me/s/175-042-146
- Choose your child from the list
- Create your account
- Once I approve you, you can see content from your child
After you sign up, download the free Seesaw Family app and sign in. You can also access Seesaw from a computer at https://app.seesaw.me.
P.s. If you used Seesaw last year or have more than one child using Seesaw, follow the link above, then click the ‘Sign in’ tab at the top of the screen. You do not need to create a new account.
The following are just a few reminders to ensure your child is able to participate fully in class.
Each day students should bring:
- A hat to enjoy outside play
- A reusable water bottle. I can’t stress enough the importance of hydration in this hot humid weather.
- Personal headphones (a mic is optional, but often very important for clear recording). Personal headphones reduce the risk of ear and hair issues being shared amongst students.
- Inform the transport department if you need to make changes to your child’s normal bus schedules.
- No children should be at school unsupervised after school hours. Students can’t wait for siblings to finish activities such as ASA’s unless they are supervised by an adult.
G5 Activities and Physical Education Requirements
Your child is a pre-teen and with this comes the responsibility of organising their needs. As the weather continues to be hot and sticky, all G5 students need to think about their hygiene requirements. Some suggestions are as follows:
- Use an antiperspirant each day
- Bring a change of clothes for after lunch play
- Have a change of clothes to change into after PE lessons
- Air shoes out over the weekends to avoid foot odour
With 22 students in a class, you can imagine the range of smells each person delivers and receives. Please have a discussion with your child to decide on their needs and how they may implement these.
Getting to know Ms Tina
For those of you whom I haven’t had the pleasure of meeting yet, you can read a short brief in the “about Ms Tina” section of our class blog. Otherwise, I look forward to meeting you at our ‘Back-to-School Night’ on the evening of September 6th. You can also drop me an email at the following address email@example.com. But please understand, I do not answer emails while I’m teaching, so if it is important, please contact the ES office.
Save the Date:
September 6th – Back to School Night
Dinner Talk Time
*What games did G5 play this week to develop team spirit?
*What ASA’s and Youth Sports activities are happening this semester?
*What personal goal did you set for yourself?
This Week in 5B
“Without a sense of caring,
There can be no sense of community”
Anthony J. D’Angelo