Welcome, 5B Community,
This week in 5B, students visited Middle School on Monday to get a sneak peek into the life of a Middle Schooler. It was also an opportunity for students to ask questions and address any concerns they had regarding the transition from Elementary to Middle School. The feedback from the G6 teachers and admin team were all positive and they are looking forward to learning with the students next year.
SWIM RELAY EXTRAVAGANZA KICKS OFF ON FRIDAY THE 1ST OF JUNE.
For more information about this fun-filled event click the link sent by Mr Martin Hamilton.
Geometry and Art – What’s going on in 5B?
Students have been working on understanding Geometric language. For example
- poly = many.
- gon = angles, edges, corners.
- peri = around or about.
- me = to measure
- meter =a verse; that by which anything is measured; measure, length, size, limit and proportion
- Cube = cut in cubes
Using Picasso’s cubism we are working on crafting portraits of ourselves that show us from different perspectives. Watch this space for the creative connection between math and art.
Students are working towards consolidating geometric elements by measuring angles, identifying coordinates, exploring translations and rotations.
5B have been writing their reflections about their time as a fifth grader. How have they changed, what have they learned and how will this support their future learning. They have just finished working on the novel ‘Bridge to Terabithia’ and will begin to show their understanding of the text type ‘recount’ as their final assessment for writing.
Health and Wellbeing
Students are tired and worn out, and with the changing weather, it is not impossible to catch the dreaded flu or a cold. Please keep your child home if they are not feeling well. The immune systems are taking a battering at this time of the year with bugs and the stress of change upon students.
This week in 5B
Dinner Time Conversations
- What are the names of the two main characters in “Bridge to Terabithia”?
- What Identity project are you working on that shows how you have transitioned over time and who you are?
- What was your visit to Middle School like?
- What swimming event are you swimming in on Friday?
- What story about Haka, did Ms Tina share with you this week?
Save the Dates
- 1st June – ES Swimming Relay Extravaganza
- 11th June – G5 Celebration of learning @ 9:00 am Start
- 11th June – G5 Morning Tea and Trans-identity product sharing with parents @ 10:10.
- 11th June – G5 Suprise Activity Departs UNIS at 11:30 am