We had a wonderful week in Grade 1B. Here are some of the many things that took place this week in 1B. Enjoy!
This week during math, we learned about math stations. Our focus is exposing our students to math problems that they can explain his/her thinking in multiple ways. The students really enjoyed the mystery bag/ten frame counting and making equations, playing treasure hunt, working together on a puzzle, doing dot to dot, playing with lego and answering some questions through rolling the dice. Working in small groups is one strategy that we use during math.
Unit of Inquiry (UOI)-How We Organize Ourselves
Did you know that a community is a group of people who have something in common? We’ve been continuing to build our 1B and our Grade 1 community. We played some community building games with our whole grade on Monday. The students did such an awesome job of working together as a team and community.
On Wednesday, the students came into class to a messy classroom. Tables were turned over, chairs were tipped over, the materials were in all the wrong places and the ID cards were everywhere. We wondered:
What happened to our classroom?
- Rozie-Check the cameras to see who did this.
- Iris-Discovery, K1 and K2 came to our classroom and messed it up because they miss us.
- Jasper-Someone snuck in last night and messed it up.
- Marcos-Maybe it was the teachers?
- Lexie-Maybe someone was looking for something and messed up our room looking for it?
- Tri Dung-It’s a mystery.
- Stella-It’s too big to be an accident.
- Jasper-It’s so messy, a complete disaster and a catastrophe.
- Kojiro-Messy because I think a teacher made a mess.
- Hayden-I think that someone came in here at night and messed up all of our stuff. I still don’t know who that name is under the table (it looks like a signature on one of the tables).
We then had a discussion about the importance of tidy classroom and systems in our classroom. We wondered the following;
Why do we need to have a clean classroom?
- So we don’t get mixed up.
- So people can find things.
- Someone might trip if things are all over the classroom.
- Everything has a place.
After our classroom discussions, we decided that cleaning up was the best option so no one got hurt, and so we could carry on with our learning for the day. It really made us think about how important it is for our classroom to be organized so we can be safe and do our best learning. After we’d cleaned up we asked:
How are you feeling now that our classroom is tidy?
- Sammy-I feel happy because I like peace and quiet.
- Tri Dung-I am sad because we could not find who’s the person who did it.
- Iris-I feel crazy because when I came in the room is was a disaster, but now I feel happy because the room is clean and tidy.
- Emma-glad, clean
- Korbin-Happy because the classroom is all clean and tidied up.
- Kojiro-Happy because it is clean and if we tidy up we happy also.
- Reina-Happy because I can make new friends with a clean classroom.
- Rozie-Happy because it’s nice and tidy.
- Leo-Happy because we didn’t have much space when it is messy and people would fall over.
- Minh Huyen-Happy because it’s tidy and we can not slip anymore.
- Marcos-I feel happy because I like tidy classrooms.
- JuEun-I am happy because we have many places to play now.
- Sarah-Great because I don’t like to trip over toys.
- Tate-Happy because it was tidy and there is more place to play and do stuff.
- Uha-Good because when it was messy and the table was flipped we can’t use the table. When we cleaned up we can use it to make something at the table and eat snack.
The provocation was a big success and the students are still wondering who would mess up their special spaces. The mystery continues…We will continue to talk and learn more about communities, systems and routines during this unit.
During our literacy time, we talked about the importance of reading to yourself and reading to a friend/parent/stuffed animal/sibling/grandparent/teacher. We learned that partner reading is fun and it helps us improve our vocabulary and makes us better readers.
We will have photo day on Wednesday, August 29th. Please have your child wear a nice outfit in the morning and pack his/her PE uniform in backpacks. The students will change after the photo. Thank you.
Thank you to the parents who have emailed or sent it a family photo. Please pick a recent one and send it to me next week.
Please pack a big snack for your child (at least 2-3 things). The students will eat fruit at morning snack provided by the school and the home snack in the afternoon.
Library Book Exchange
Each Tuesday, we will have a library time to check out books and return books from the week before. Please send your books back on Tuesdays with a library bag (can be a UNIS bag from the UNIS shop).
Blue Take Home Folder
When needed, your child will bring home a blue take home folder. Please read the contents and send the folder back to school the next day.
Please send the G1 Parent Questionnaire back to school after you have had a chance to fill it out. All forms due on Friday, August 31st.
Birthdays in Grade 1B
If you would like your child to celebrate his/her birthday in class, please send a special treat along in the morning. We will find a special time during the day to celebrate your child and his/her classmates. Photos will be posted on the blog.
Please send a set of headphones for your child to use at school. We will keep them all year and send them home at the end of the year. They will be using them during our reading times.