Open Classrooms Next Thursday and Friday! (Nov. 30 & Dec. 1)
Next Thursday and Friday, parents are invited into our classrooms to share in their children’s learning. Each day, one block from our homeroom class as well as all specialists that day are open for parents to attend. Please read this invitation for Open Classrooms for all of the details and expectations.
Please note on Thursday that students will be doing their Heritage Museum again. It’s an exciting opportunity to perform, reflect on their performance, and improve it for the next time:)
Heritage Museum Summative Task:
Alternative title: A Lesson on Meeting Criteria, Time-Management, Self-Reflection and Improvement
Today we had our final task for our UOI on Where We Are In Place and Time, which focused on Heritage. Over the past few weeks, we have been learning about the requirements and success criteria and had time to work on meeting them in class, although I have not been purposely not taking over and reviewing each individual task. I give feedback and encouragement, but as the requirements were very clear and repeated often in several different formats, I wanted them to show independence and initiative. All of the students did something fantastic:
- Many had 3 excellent examples of personal, Vietnamese and world heritage.
- Many had at least one or more very good blurbs (short explanation telling about their example.)
- Many posted their selection criteria for why they chose their example of heritage.
- Many went beyond the requirements and built a physical or computer generated model of their site.
- Many were very organized about the way they displayed the information.
- While they all had parts, only a few met all of the success criteria.
We will now take some time to reflect on their work to determine their strengths and areas they could improve. Once again, they know the success criteria and now they have a lot of feedback from myself and peers. They will have a 2nd chance next Thursday, although they will not be given class time to work on this. They may use their recess and at-home learning time to make any improvements for next week, but this is THEIR assignment. Please allow them to show initiative and independence at home, but this is not your work to stress about. 🙂
Heritage Museum: Part 1:
Week in Review:
- Writing to Persuade: A UNESCO World heritage site
- Writing blurbs and short explanations
- Reading for information
- Using criteria checklists to set goals for improvement
- Math centers to individualize learning according to individual needs
- Using place value to mentally solve problems
- Area and perimeter
- Problem-solving strategies and mathematical thinking.
- Preparing for our unit summative task, The Heritage Museum
- Field trip to see Heritage around Hanoi
- Reflecting on the field trip, our understanding of the unit and our summative task.
Things to ask your child about:
How were the sites we visited in our field trip connected to heritage?
What were the highlights of your heritage museum? What would you like to improve before next week?
What skills have you been practicing in math? How can you practice at home, as well?
What book are you reading? How often do you log your reading time and write reviews?
What is World Children’s Day? What are your wishes for children around the world? What is Flip Grid?
Dates to Remember:
Friday 24 Nov: ES Parents & Admin Coffee Morning
Thursday & Friday Nov. 30, Dec 1: Open Classrooms- Details coming soon!
Click on this image to see all of the photos from our Hanoi Heritage Field trip!