Dear Elementary Families,
We warmly invite you to our Elementary School Open Classrooms – next Thursday 15th March (8.15am – 3.20pm) and Friday 16th March (8.15am – 11.30am). Please note that there will be no open classrooms on Friday after 11.30am.
What are Open Classrooms?
Have you ever wondered what inquiry-based learning is like for your child? Here is your chance! Open Classrooms showcase learning in action. For two days, at selected times, our classrooms are open for you to observe lessons that put the philosophy and pedagogy of the Primary Years Programme into practice.
Purpose of Open Classrooms
Open Classrooms is for parents to get an insider’s view of what life is like inside the classrooms at UNIS. By opening up our classroom doors we would like to give parents a glimpse of student-centered, constructivist teaching and learning in action. We aim to demonstrate our inquiry based teaching philosophy which is central to our identity as an IB school.
How does it work?
- Classrooms will be designated as ‘open house’ events for certain lessons on Thursday 15th November and for the first half of Friday 16th March 2018. Classes will be a reflection of our PYP programme: what you will see will be a snapshot of our regular lessons, routines and activities.
- Parents may attend any of their child’s open lessons – both homeroom classes and specialist lessons. Be sure to check your child’s blog to know which lessons are designated as “OPEN”.
- Parents may only visit open lessons in classes that their child attends.
What might I see?
All lessons are different, though you may expect to see:
- Lessons that have a clear learning objective which has been explained to the students
- A variety of lessons and subject areas open for parents to observe (and in some cases, you may be invited to participate). Lessons that showcase students demonstrating the Learner Profile
- Lessons that involve students using a variety of transdisciplinary skills (thinking research problem solving, social and self-management skills)
- Lessons that are based on students’ understanding of broad concepts, in addition to specific content (e.g. the concept of “form” in addition to the content of balanced gymnastics movements in PE).
What is my responsibility as a visitor to an active learning environment?
- Silence and put away all mobile devices.
- Please enter classrooms quietly and be on time. We recommend you stay for at least 20 minutes to see the flow of the lesson.
- Please be aware of not interrupting the flow of a lesson/your child’s learning. Interact with your children only when/if invited to do so. Some classes will be ‘observe only’ while others may be more interactive.
- Please leave younger siblings at home with a caregiver, so that you may give you full attention to your child’s class.
- All parents must wear their UNIS Parent ID badge.
- Photographing students is not permitted.
We look forward to welcoming you on Thursday 15th and Friday 16th March.
Elementary School Principal