September 21st – K1C

Dear parents,

This week we celebrated the 30th birthday of UNIS! The children enjoyed decorating crowns to wear to the big D-12 celebration in the Sports Center. Felix the Phoenix joined us and Dr. Barder played his guitar for the Happy Birthday Song. Then there was the whole school picture followed by cupcakes.

UNIS Birthday

In an effort to connect further with our Unit of Inquiry, we have had many discussions about friends, responsibility and our classroom agreements. We also had a discussion about what would happen if our community web broke. I will include student voice on this next week. The children also created themselves through an art piece and we made a circle around our agreements as we keep reflecting back to them.

We celebrated International Peace Day today. We read a book titled ‘The Peace Book’ and watched a video of children answering the question “What does peace mean to you?” We then started a collaborative “Peace Piece”, which we will continue for the next couple of school days. Some pictures will be included in this blog and more to come next week.

We have been doing lots of counting in our classroom. The children count the letters in their name and in their friends’ names. We represent numbers in different ways using our fingers. It’s quite fun and something you could try at home.

REMINDER: HATS, HATS, HATS!!!! Your child must wear a hat during outdoor play.

Other pictures of the week

Have a lovely weekend,

Deborah & Thu