Did your child tell you about yesterday’s field trip to Donkey Bakery? If you attended this morning’s open classroom session and joined in the role play, you will understand how we have been inspired by our field trips. Look on your own child’s blog to see her/his team’s eBook.
Lots of ‘transdisciplinary’ learning is happening in K2 at the moment. Through role-play “shopping’ K2 are also demonstrating their understanding of many of the Mathematics outcomes: Represent practical situations to model addition and sharing.
They are learning to:
- describe the action of combining, separating and comparing using everyday language, eg: makes, joins, combines with, and, get, take away, how many more, all together
- combine two or more groups of objects to model addition
- use concrete materials or fingers to model and solve simple problems
- use visual representations of numbers to assist with addition and subtraction, eg ten frames
- create and recognise combinations for numbers to 10, eg ‘How many more make 10?’
Thank you for supporting your child’s Home Reading. I enjoy reading your comments compliments in your child’s reading folder. If you are wondering what a ‘Guided Reading’ lesson looks like, join us tomorrow morning ( at 9am) or watch the video below to see some of the ways K2 ‘readers’ are learning to:
- understand direction of print, return sweeps and spaces between words
- identify a sentence and understand its meaning
- identify the beginning and end sounds of words
- orally blend two or three sounds to make a word
- recognise high-frequency words
- read and understand some sight words in simple, predictable texts
- use knowledge of letters and sounds to decode words, including those in initial, final and medial positions
- begin to use self-correction strategies, eg rereading, pausing, using picture cues to make meaning from print
Tomorrow morning, at 8:15am we have an all school opening ceremony to welcome our guests and celebrate the MRISA/APAC event. We ask children to wear BLUE ! We are holding this assembly outside on our new covered courts near the sports centre. Parents are welcome too! We may even see our friend, Phelix the Pheonix!
Dates for your diary
- UNIS Spring Fair: Sunday, March 25th
- ES Fun Sports Morning: Friday, March 30th
- Spring Break ( No School) 2nd-8th April
Finally hot off the press: Here’s a glimpse of what happened this morning during Open Classrooms ! Thank you again for your support.