Welcome to 2018 !
“We’ve been working in the classroom for 83 days..” Can your child sing the rest of this song?”
K2C have been talking a lot about concepts of time and how to use a calendar to keep count of days, months, years and plan for important events. We are looking forward to our 100th day of school! We are also thinking about Tet and we wonder how many days until the next holiday?
In English, K2C are learning about recount writing. Thank you for sending in a photo to help your child recount an event that happened during the holiday.When you open your own child’s easyblog, you should be able to hear him/her giving his/her oral recount of a holiday event Here’s my recount! !
Here’s a recount of Ms Mi’s birthday . Can your child hear the correct past tense word in each sentence? On Monday morning K2C celebrated Ms Mis birthday. First we surprised her with our cards and letters.Then she read our messages. Next she opened a present from Toby bear. After that we ate special cookies. Finally we sang Happy Birthday to Ms Mi.
Please watch the following videos with your child. Can she/he recount what happened: When, where, who and what happened first, then, next last etc .
Ms Cathie was wondering if anyone noticed the bins were missing ! Who in K2C makes good choice about waste? How much rubbish does K2C make each day? How can we reduce the amount of waste?
K2C shared their prior knowledge and are thinking hard about What happens to the UNIS rubbish after it gets thrown in the bin?
Here are some of our thoughts:
- Lucy: First we put it in the bin until it is really full. Then the nanny takes the rubbish outside and puts it outside my house. Then the rubbish truck comes and takes it to the rubbish place that is really full of rubbish and it starts all over again.
- Maeve: We put in the garbage then the cleaners take it to the rubbish truck. Then it goes to a factory. They smash it into little pieces so it can be not very hard to put in in the lake. It will have a very bad smell and it just sits there for a long time and then it goes away.
- Toby: After you put it in the bin the garbage truck gets it. Then they put it in a big pile of rubbish. Then it , um, it goes back inside the garbage truck and then they put it ,um, they put the first pile into an even bigger pile. I don’t know what happens next.
- JuEun: The rubbish go to the truck. And then the truck go to the… ( I am not sure in English)
- Jun: I throw the trash to the trash bin.The cleaners clean and take the trash another trash can. Then I think they take another trash bin.And it go another bin. The trash will go.. Um..to… I don’t know!
- Marcos: The trash goes in the bin. Then it goes in the truck. Then it goes somewhere else but I don’t know yet.I am wondering where does it go next and where does it go after that?
- Rosalie: The person comes and puts in the trash car and they bring it to a factory and we recycle it. Some people use it to make something. I know you can recycle old paper. I know because I recycle a lot of things. If I get a piece of paper I make a card for somebody.
- Raeyi: First you throw the rubbish to the bin. Rubbish is throw or not . Rubbish is many people bin in the rubbish. I don’t know( what happens next).
- Emily: You put it in the bin. Don’t take it out. It goes to the garbage truck. The cleaners take the rubbish and put it in the truck. The truck goes to a pile of rubbish. The pile ..um???
- Teun: Go there then it goes to another one then it is cycle again. Is going to the bins again.Recycle means something we don’t use.
- Kojiro: People put rubbish put in bin, people hold bin and put in a truck and there go to the um so much rubbish then is gone anywhere.
- George: Um I run to the bin and I put the trash in the bin and I found a trash bin in K2A and this guy do have the brain to find the bin. It is very dirty.
I am hoping to empower children to take some responsibility and action at home. In class we will be giving children more responsibility with cleaning tables, washing dishes, sweeping floors and keeping our classrooms clean and tidy. I’m hoping your child will be given opportunity to do these things at home too! So, if s/he takes ‘action’, says or observes anything related to our Unit Of Inquiry ( e.g. notices examples of people making good /bad choices with rubbish ) please allow them to take a photo or video and email it to me!
Parents invited to sign up for mystery reader
Finally, please let me know if you would like to be our K2C class parent,as Lana’s Mum (Jill McHale) is asking someone else to have a turn.
Thanks for a great start to 2018, K2C !